Monday, May 12, 2008

I don't understand

I keep talking about being optimistic and happy all the time but there are times when I question myself. There is so much happening in the world that is so wrong. But why? If there is a God (and I do believe in my heart that there is) why does he allow these things to happen. Just yesterday when I felt compelled to research Kamal Nath I read so much about the Sikh massacre that happened in 1984 - all done by educated people. And it disturbed me so. So many people dead - so many mothers lost their sons - so many children were orphaned. All for nothing.

I have been a little low all day - I don't quite know why. Maybe it's a combination of what I read and on a smaller scale because a friend of mine who has been dealt a very unfair hand in life, yet takes the blame of this upon herself. And when I got home, the first news article I read shook me completely. About a man in Iraq who mercilessly killed his 17 year daughter, helped by his sons, just because she was caught talking to a foreign man.

I know I have read of things like this many times, but they never fail to sadden me. To kill your own daughter and sister? What human being can bring himself to do that - and to be proud of it too? Why is life so unfair to so many people in so many ways? To good people. The girl in this case did nothing wrong - she was helping other people. Yet to die such a horrid death - and have your killer go free (and even respected as a hero) - what did she do to deserve that?

My 'about me' talks about feeling blessed - and I agree I do. But sometimes I wonder about how unfair that is. I haven't done enough good in my life to deserve so much happiness. While I am thankful to God for all he has given me, I don't understand why. What about everyone else? Why do so many continue to suffer? Why is it that the world is so divided in terms of fortune - some have everything and the others have worse than nothing? Why?

5 comments:

Alaphia Zoyab said...

Hi!
I also did my reading on Kamal Nath's murderous past after I got back and felt disgusted.

Amrita said...

Hey hon,
I'd just like to say that such things leave most 'normal' people feeling shaken. And a little helpless.
It is almost as if luck or chance or in fact nothing at all governs where we are born and to whom.

woorkeri wittynathan said...

About Nath:
Both points of view are appropriate.
1. Innocent until proven guilty
2. He's guilty, it's common knowledge, but he has managed to escape the claws of the law.

That being said, the 1984 episode is extremely gut wrenching. Especially so, since the Sikh community has been at the forefront in protecting the country.

Unknown said...

God (if you believe he/she exists...who i personally don't believe in) has given you strength and happiness, and better standing in society, so that you would use your advantage to help those in need.

Unknown said...

God (if you believe he/she exists...who i personally don't believe in) has given you strength and happiness, and better standing in society, so that you would use your advantage to help those in need.